Saratoga Lumber Traders traces its roots back almost 200 years to 1822 when Captain Isaac Henry Curtiss built his first sawmill on Charlton Road.
In 1890, the property was purchased by Elmer A. Curtis – who had dropped the second ‘s’ from the Curtis name. He built a new sawmill that was powered by the Mourningkill Creek but it was later destroyed by fire in 1910. The mill was again rebuilt and run by Elmer with the help of his son Kent.
After the death of his father, Kent Curtis assumed ownership and continued operation. In 1949, Kent passed the business on to his own son, Robert K. Curtis and Curtis Lumber Company, Inc. was officially established.
In 1952, a new office was constructed for the company’s 9 employees.
In 1955, the store was rebuilt and expanded into hardware – there were now 11 employees. A truss fabrication plant was also added.
In 1968, the land that would become the Curtis Industrial Park was purchased on Rt. 67 in Ballston Spa, NY.
A new sawmill was built in the industrial park during 1972, 150 years after the original sawmill was built on Charlton Road.
In 1976, Curtis Lumber moved its Charlton store to the current location in Ballston Spa, inside the Curtis Industrial Park.
In 1982, the sawmill operation had to be shut down after two fires – this time it would not be rebuilt.
In 1992, the business was split between Robert Curtis and his son Jay Scott Curtis. Jay became the President of Curtis Lumber Company and his father took the wholesale lumber business and the truss fabrication shop, forming Saratoga Lumber Traders, Inc.
In 2003, Robert’s second son Todd Curtis became president of Saratoga Lumber Traders. He continues to run the business today.
Since then, Saratoga Lumber Traders has evolved into a modern day company utilizing state of the art technology such as laser templating to ensure quality and accuracy when building our trusses, and to increase productivity in our workforce.
Today we maintain the wholesale lumber business, stock a variety of trusses for immediate pick-up or delivery, operate a reload facility for the transportation and storage of lumber and other building materials, and we also design and build trusses to suit our customer’s needs for any application.
We strive to maintain the integrity of a family owned and operated business that the Curtis Family began in 1822. Quality products and customer satisfaction remains our number one priority. We look forward to serving your needs.